Date(s) - 23 May 2015
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Captioned Performance: Saturday, 23 May 2015 at 2pm
Booking Details: http://merrigong.com.au/shows/storm-boy.html
At the time of booking, please request seats with a good view of the captioning screen.
ABOUT THE SHOW:
Storm Boy tells the captivating story of a boy’s last childhood summer spent with his reclusive dad in the wild freedom of South Australia’s Coorong. As he roams the savage landscape, navigating the waters and searching for debris and wildlife, he picks up some unlikely friends including the enigmatic Fingerbone Bill and a family of orphaned pelicans, including his favourite, Mr. Percival.
Heralded by critics as “full of heart and soul” (Crikey), Tom Holloway’s writing honours the spare, unadorned style of the original text, while brilliant puppetry and sensitive direction bring the characters to life, whether human or pelican.
Storm Boy’s evocation of a far-away windy beach, and its bittersweet message about growing up, has enthralled children and adults alike for decades. Whether you want to introduce a new generation of children to the story, or relive it for yourself, this is your chance to savour the wonder, sadness and hope of this home-grown classic.
Recommended for ages 6+.
• “Emotionally rich and affecting…. A beautiful work” – Daily Telegraph
• “Barking Gecko and the STC have done a beautiful job of bringing this much loved story to yet another new generation. No matter how old or young you might think you are, you’ll laugh with delight, gasp with fright and weep along withStorm Boy and Mr Percival.” – Stage Noise
• “…full of heart and soul…, pays respectful homage to Thiele’s legacy.” – Daily Review, Crikey
• “Pure theatre magic” – Artshub
• “Storm Boy causes that same simple, unexpected fullness of heart as when a small child comes up to you, tugs on your sleeve, and tells you they love you.” – Aussie Theatre
• “It was plain awesome.” – Bill Blake (aged 8), Time Out (Sydney)
Set, Costume & Puppet Designer