Date(s) - 18 Jul 2015
2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
Captioned Performance: Saturday, 18 July 2015 at 2pm
Booking details: http://merrigong.com.au/shows/dylan-thomas-return-journey.html
Open and closed captioning available. At the time of booking, please request seats with a good view of the captioning screen. Alternatively, captions are available on mobile or tablet devices by simply downloading our GoTheatrical! app from The App Store or GooglePlay.
ABOUT THE SHOW
Original Direction by Anthony Hopkins. Starring Bob Kingdom as Dylan Thomas
An extraordinary encounter with a literary giant.
Over 80,000 people worldwide have enjoyed this critically acclaimed production, with sell-out seasons in London, off-Broadway and at the Edinburgh Festival. Heralded by critics worldwide as a tour-de-force, this is your chance to experience Bob Kingdom’s electrifying performance as he brings Dylan Thomas’ last lecture tour to life in Anthony Hopkins’ celebrated directorial debut.
Playing a man who wrestled with the psychological conflict between creative talent and self-destructive impulse, Bob Kingdom’s remarkable portrayal of his bardic countryman is tangibly heartfelt and authentic; audiences have sworn it was the poet himself on stage.
Blending the stories and the poetry with incisive commentary on the nature of performing, audiences, and the American touring circuit, the audience is taken through Wales past and present. Oscar-winner Anthony Hopkins’ subtle direction brings both performer and audience together in appreciation of the beauty, the humour, the passion and the wit of this writer.
Recommended for ages 10+.
• “A thrilling, lyrical journey” – The Guardian (UK)
• “Kingdom is rightly regarded as a master of this one-hander genre and the 70 minutes flies by as he draws his audience in and leaves us spellbound. Bravo!” ????? – The Daily Mirror (UK)
• “The dry, wry, mischievous manner Kingdom absorbs from Dylan for the tales is bewitching. I could have listened to his spell-binding, word-winding wizardry there for hours.” – The Times (UK)
• “He weaves a mellifluous vocal spell fully equal to Thomas’ verbal one, and creates an actor/author partnership to match the very greatest.” – Evening Standard (UK)
• “Bob Kingdom seems to have totally suppressed his own being in his search for union with Dylan Thomas… He has perfect command of the rhythms of language, of the timing of those magically original,, devastating, unsettling or wittily displaced lines and phrases. The delivery and writing merge into one perfectly balanced, beautifully turned performance” – The Scotsman (UK)
• “Spell-binding stuff” – The Times (UK)
• “Captivating and tireless… Kingdom captured Thomas’ curious combination of lush lyricism and dry wit without a moment of uncertainty” – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (US)
• “Wit, and feeling, and rollicking comedy, and even beauty” – The New Yorker (US)
• “What falls from his lips is a series of word pictures, nearly breakneck in their spill, but of such startling clarity that the mind spins along with them and miraculously keeps up. … The stage is alive with characters, all of them tumbling out of richly descriptive prose to be perfectly captured in Kingdom’s shift of voice and attitude.” – Boston Globe (US)
• “You leave the theatre rejoicing in the talent of the poet and the actor” – Sydney Morning Herald
Australian tour produced by Merrigong Theatre Company and Richard Jordan Productions.