Date(s) - 14 Mar 2015
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Captioned Performance: Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 2pm
Booking details: http://merrigong.com.au/shows/sweet-charity.html
At the time of booking, please request seats with a good view of the captioning screen.
ABOUT THE SHOW
Winner of three 2014 Helpmann Awards, and boasting an extraordinary line-up of musical theatre talent, the smash-hit production of Sweet Charity that took Sydney by storm is coming to Wollongong direct from its return season at the Sydney Opera House.
If you believe in something hard enough, then eventually it has to come true, right? Charity Hope Valentine is the eternal optimist – a worldview that puts her distinctly at odds with her co-workers in a seedy, run-down dance hall. Dancing with man after man to pay her rent, she dreams of finally being whisked away and rescued by love.
Cy Coleman and Dorothy Fields’ memorable score (with major hits including ‘Big Spender’ and ‘If My Friends Could See Me Now’) and Neil Simon’s razor-sharp script lift the veil on the exquisite agony of living on the under-side of life. Emerging star Samantha Leigh Dodemaide, winner of the Rob Guest Endowment, makes the role of Charity her own for the Wollongong season.
The perfect night of musical theatre for adults.
Recommended for ages 15+. Contains adult themes.
• “Do yourself a favour and book a seat” – Daily Telegraph
• “Downsized, dirtied up and over-flowing with music-theatre talent… exceptional” – The Australian
• “It’s a thrill to see and hear performers of this calibre close up… Crewes is a delight. Krizak is superb. A memorable night.” – Sydney Morning Herald
• “It’s all glorious. Raw and new and unavoidable; bombastic and sexy and addictive…” – Aussie Theatre
• “Sweet Charity is a near-perfect production, and the company shows infinite promise for the future. Trust me, if you’re not on this bandwagon yet, you should jump on it now before you miss it” – Aussie Theatre
• “Brilliant, ballsy, and unmissable… an astonishing version of the American classic… Dean Bryant and Andrew Worboys have crafted a version that makes the experience complete and thrilling… Run as fast as you can.” – Stage Noise
• “Musical theatre doesn’t come any better than this…. A production in which I simply can’t find a fault” – Stage Whispers
• “An incredibly high-energy take on the classic musical…” –Australian Stage